Monday, September 1, 2014

Hedgepigs and Hares

Last week was my quilt guild's guest night. Since we're all encouraged to bring everything that we worked on over the summer it's a great motivator to finish up those projects that I've been slowly working on. I finished this flimsy way back in May. I'm not sure when I finished the quilting on this one, but I know she's been waiting for binding for a few weeks now. 

I wanted a lightweight quilt for my couch that I can curl under in the summer when the ac is making me cold. I decided to use silk batting so that I wouldn't get too hot (just call me Goldilocks okay.) I really didn't notice much difference in quilting the silk batting. The quilt is a lot lighter than other quilts that I've made and I think I'll use it again to make a summer quilt for our bed.


For the label I just used some extra binding strips to frame a piece of white fabric. This photo also shows off my quilting. I did an all over loop and I'm really pleased with how it turned out. I think I'm ready to start doing some more intricate quilting on future projects.


Pattern is a variation of Sweet Girly Charm Square Quilt by Don't Call Me Betsy
Fabric is Bluebird Park by Katie and Birdie Paper Co.

13 comments:

  1. Lovely quilt and thanks for the info on the silk batting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm glad the info on silk batting was useful.

      Delete
  2. I like your quilt! I am always hot, so it's nice to hear about the silk batting. I've never used it but now I want to try. I just started a quilt with this same fabric, Bluebird Park -- maybe I'll try silk batting too since it's definitely a summery quilt. Is Silk Batting expensive?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I love Bluebird Park. I bought Hobbs Tuscany Silk Batting from Connecting Threads during one of their half off sales. Silk batting is a bit pricier, but Connecting Threads frequently has their batting on sale.

      Delete
  3. I really like how your quilt turned out. Lovely colors. I am from North Central Iowa. It was almost too hot to quilt today. ;) I have used a layer of cotton fabric instead of batting when I wanted lighter weight quilt. I did this for kid's quilt and it washed and wore like iron. The silk batting sounds intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm so glad that we only have heat like this for a short part of the year. It's always a sad day for me when I have to pack away most of my quilts for the summer. Thankfully they'll get to come out again soon.

      Delete
  4. A beautiful quilt, Kymberly! Whoop whoop!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great quilt! your fabric/color choices make for some great contrast. This is a great pattern, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I really lovd how this quilt turned out!

      Delete
  6. This quilt is just gorgeous! I love that you made it a weight that fits for summer, too. I love how you can see all of the different fabrics so easily in the Blueberry Park line. I love it!
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, I mean Bluebird Park ! It's getting late...

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much for stopping by. I was so excited to find this pattern. The Bluebird Park fabric is so great and makes a wonderful summer quilt.

      Delete