Monday, September 22, 2014

August Supernova Blocks

August was a weird month for my partner and me. I knew she was going to be travelling so I sent her my block in July. Between remaking the first block and making July's block she wasn't able to get August's block done before leaving. Since she was in contact with me I wasn't worried. (It actually takes off a lot of the pressure of the deadline and let's me enjoy working on the blocks. I'll share her September block when I finish mine.)

Here's my block for August. I'm realizing I really need to build a stash of solids. I bought a bundle of blues for this quilt and wish I had the option of a bit more variety. When all of the blocks sre together it works, but it means I have some blocks like this that are a bit weird.

This block shows what the addition of a few more colors can do. I will say I'm learning a lot from this project, but I feel a bit guilty that my partner is getting blocks that I'm learning color theory on. 

Hopefully I'll get September's block done this week and can share those next week. 

8 comments:

  1. It look delightful with the blue an amazing contrast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blocks. It is going to be a beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm glad to hear you're liking the blocks. Choosing fabrics for a quilt is still something I struggle with.

      Delete
  3. Love your Supernova block! I haven't gotten anything from my swap partner so I've kinda halted production. But looking at your block makes me want to dive back in. Love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That stinks that your partner hasn't sent you any blocks. It is a great quilt. You should finish it even if you do make all of the blocks for yourself.

      Delete
  4. I think your fabric choices are intriguing. It'll be interesting to see the blocks all together. I had a hard time buying solids at first - all the prints were so lovely! - but, like you, I bought a bundle of blues, and I have tried to add other colors. It is a challenge still to add solids to my projects, but I'll keep trying to remember and use them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just starting to branch out from precuts. I don't have much of a stash so I usually have to buy fabric for each quilt as I choose to make it. It's worked so far but now that I'm figuring out what I like yo use I'm hoping I can start to build a better stash.

      Delete