Friday, September 6, 2013

Penguins and New Sewing Machine

 This week I've started quilting the penguin quilt. I'm very new at free motion quilting so it's hard to really say how it's going. It's not perfect which is a bit disappointing, but it's good enough to keep. I did in the ditch quilting around the fish and penguins. Since the penguins are so big I also stitched around their bellies and beaks. In the grey blocks I've decided to do bubble quilting. I'm not sure if I'm going to do bubbles on the blue too or if I'll just keep it on the plain blocks.


On Wednesday I mentioned that I bought a new sewing machine cabinet last weekend. Since there were several requests for pictures and more details here's the cabinet as it currently sits. It turns makes an excellent computer desk when it's all folded up.


Check out that large space for quilting! I haven't had a chance to really look at the machine so I'm afraid I can't give you any details yet. I am planning on refinishing this soon. Currently I'm leaning towards painting it some shade of blue and recovering the chair with a soft cream colored fabric. I'll be sure to share pictures as soon as it's finished.


5 comments:

  1. That's a very pretty cabinet. It would look nice in blue. I think sometimes the furniture is just as special as the machine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kymberly!
    The penguins are adorable. So is that machine. I have a Singer 401 a and I love it. They are great machines. That family of machines were called Rocketeers because of their shape. Looks like a great vintage item. Have fun
    xo jan@sewandsowfarm.blogspot.com
    Oh, I am a new follower. I signed up with Google Friend Connect but since that reader went away, I won't be able to tell when you have new posts. Do you have bloglovin set up? Most people are switching over to bloglovin or feedly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind comment. I just added bloglovin today so you'll be able to follow me with that if you prefer.

      Delete
  3. Love the blog, and LOVE the penguin quilt. I really wanna see more of it as you work on it!!
    I'm just starting to learn quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your penguins are so cute, Kymberly! Your free motion looks really good. It just takes practice to feel comfortable with it, and even then, there are times when I get frustrated with mine! And that machine and cabinet look like a great find!

    Thank you so much for sharing this at Needle and Thread Thursday!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete