Monday, February 19, 2018

Caramel Apples Quilt Block 1

My LQS has a monthly sewing group, and challenges participants to work on a project together. Since my sewing machine repair business is based out of the shop it's really easy for me to participate. This year they chose to do the pattern "Caramel Apples" by Sue Carter of Turning Twenty. It's a bit of an odd choice since Stitch Studio focuses on being modern, but this pattern is so fun and full of potential that I think the participant in Sew Social will have a lot of fun. The pattern is written to use scraps so everyone's quilt will be unique.




I debated going with my usual solids, but I've decided to stretch myself and make a happy scrappy quilt that uses actual prints! Of course I'm the one making this quilt so there will still be plenty of solids and there's even been a batik or two that have snuck into my pile. This weekend I found two great fat quarters by Tula Pink that are going to be the focus of my quilt. I haven't done a lot of fussy cutting, but the bird in this block is so cute that there will be more fussy cutting in future blocks.


Although it's called a block of the month there are multiple blocks to make bonus blocks. This month our bonus block is the bear paw with additional strips. I told you some batiks snuck into my pile. I really love this large print floral that Kathy at Stitch Studio helped me pick out. It's definitely out of my comfort zone, but works perfectly with the colors of my quilt.





1 comment: