I'm super excited with my quilting projects right now. Unfortunately I really can't talk about any of them right now so I hope you'll bear with me for a few weeks. One of the projects I can share is the Mystery Quilt I'm working on. Since I'm not sure how long my other secretive projects will take I'm going to release the steps one at a time.
I talked with the ladies running the Sioux Prairie Quilt Guild's Mystery Quilt this year and have gotten permission to share the steps on here. The pattern is from http://www.quiltbug.com/Free/catercorner.htm (I'm keeping the mystery in this quilt so I haven't visited the site yet.) I was super excited to learn that this pattern is from the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. One of my best friends has CF and is organizing her first Great Strides Walk in our home town next summer. Check out her blog Life of Cheriz for all the details. I haven't figured out all the details yet, but I think I'm going to raffle off this quilt somehow to raise money for her walk. Okay, enough of me babbling and on to the quilt.
Fabric Requirements and Cutting Instructions
Light: 2 yards (may choose fabric to "fussy cut" on cutting instruction 2. If you choose to do this you will need more fabric)
Light/Medium: 3/4 yard
Medium/Dark 1:3/4 yard
Medium/Dark 2: 2 yards
Binding: 1/2 yard-this can be the same as the 2 yards of Medium/Dark fabric
All strips refer to Width of Fabric (WOF)
- Cut 7 strips 3.5" wide by the WOF of the light/medium fabric. Subcut these strips into (74) 3.5" squares.
- Cut 2 strips 3.5" wide by the WOF of the light fabric. Subcut these into (14) 3.5" squares. *These can be fussy cut if desired.
- Cut 5 strips 2" wide by the WOF of the medium/dark 1 fabric.
- Cut 5 strips 2" wide by the WOF of the light fabric.
- Cut 6 strips 4" wide by the WOF of the medium/dark 2 fabric. Subcut these strips into (60) 4" squares.
- Cut 5 strips 3.5" wide by the WOF of the light fabric. These will be used in the boarder.
- Cut 6 strips 4" wide by the WOF of the medium/dark 2 fabric. These will be used in the second boarder.
All of my fabrics are Kona Solids. I'm using Wheat for my light, Lavender for my light/medium, Kiwi for my Medium/Dark 1 (I'm also planning on using this for the binding), and Dark Violet for my Medium/Dark 2.
Unfortunately when I ordered my fabric I entered the correct amounts, but they only sent me 1/2 a yard of Lavender. I haven't decided yet if I'm making a smaller quilt, substituting another fabric, or ordering more Lavender. I'll probably make that decision as I get more steps and see how things are looking.